Thursday, August 8, 2013

Turquoise Granite

I finally got around to trying something new. I saw this picture awhile ago...

This is from Spektor's Nails. It is like doing a water marble, but you only use one color and then you spray hand sanitizer on to it while it is in the water...

Here is a video from Cutepolish to show you what I mean :)


Ok so now that you know what is going on here is what I did :)

 I started out with 2 coats of Julep "Lena" which is a nice turquoise with a slight golden shimmer. Sadly the shimmer isn't as noticeable on the nail :( but it is a very opaque polish and I could have gotten away with 1 coat, but I did an extra coat for good measure!

 This polish went on smooth, like butter! I own quite a few julep polishes but I just haven't used them much.

For the black I used China Glaze "Liquid Leather." My left hand for the most part turned out great. It took a few tries to get what I wanted, but I'm not great at water marbling to begin with. I love this look!!

 I wanted to add a little gold to it like in my inspiration picture so I used one of my cheap nail art pens. This one can be used to ways, like a pen or with a thin brush. I used the thin brush part.

 Not really sure if this is the brand or not. I bought a bunch of then for $2 each at a random store at the mall awhile ago.

 My left hand looks awesome :)

 The thumb wasn't that great though :(

 My right hand.... not so great. I think part of it was because I was getting tired, and my shoulder was bothering me. I've been having pain under my shoulder blade for a couple weeks, it comes and goes. So I just wanted to finish and ended up rushing on my right hand.

 For my first try at this, I think it turned out decent!

 Nice picture on a afghan my granny made years ago. She is gone now so it is nice to have things that remind me of her :)

 These are the best out of them all!

 This is what the polish looks like in the water after spraying with the hand sanitizer. I sprayed a couple times to get it to break up more. You want to make sure you don't spray it too close. Practice, practice, practice!

My like sprayer that I bought at the dollar store.

Well my friends that is all for today. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know what you think. Feel free to post any mani's you do that are similar on my facebook page :)

For more on Julep nail polish you can find a list of all of their polishes here!! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I really must have a try at this technique, even though I've never had great success with watermarbling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I'm not good at water marbling either. At least it's just one color and you don't have to really do anything other then spray it. I was told that spraying water works too

      Delete
  2. This is pretty awesome! I wonder what it would be like to build a bullseye like you would if you were marbling then spray it.

    I shall try this, soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave any comments or questions you may have. I can also be reached at ravensekhmet@gmail.com